Monday, March 7, 2011

Simple Pleasures.

     It has become quite routine.

     First you crack open the package.  Then you fill the pot with hot water and fire up the burner.  Throw that slice of delicious sweet-cream salted butter in, followed by the rice and seasonings.  The seasonings themselves are so very delicious that I can't help but dip my finger into the packet a time or two and take a little taste.  I am, after all, only cooking for myself!

     Next the water begins to boil.  Stir it up good... really good.  Throw the top on and turn the heat down.   I smirk with a half-evil grin as an aroma of deliciousness begins to permeate the air within my home.  Phase one of my master plan is complete!

     Run upstairs.

     Surf the 'net.

     Run downstairs.

     Sure, it's a little early, but why not start on the salad?

     As I pile the leafy herbal mix onto the plate, I grab the large knife and pick the perfect sacrificial clove of garlic.  I can almost hear each of them calling to me, "Pick me!  Pick me!"  Sorry, fellas.  Only one of you today.  On second thought, you can never have too much garlic!  I greedily grab another clove.  Peel the roughage and mince away to my heart's content, my mouth salivating in anticipation of the incredible meal I will shortly be consuming.

     Onions, Tomatoes, and a host of other ingredients into the salad, topping it off with my favorite magical dressing.  Now for the final phase of my master plan!

     The Tilapia fillet is ready and the olive oil is heating up nicely in the pan.  Throw in some of that minced garlic... Ahhhh!  Nothing quite fills the air with such pleasant authority as sauteed garlic.  Next, I throw down the fillet and dress it up with those seasonings and spices that have become the staple of the majority of my cooking efforts.  Splash it with some lemon and admire the work of art that lies before me.

     Who says that art can't  be delicious?!

     My patience has paid off.  My efforts have been rewarded.  My incredible nightly feast is now ready to be enjoyed.

     Routine?  Sure, it's routine.  But for me, it's one of those rare things in life that remains ever enjoyable.  One of life's true Simple Pleasures.

     I lie back in my recliner and let out a satisfying sigh after finishing the last tasty bite.  Few things in this world compare to the feeling one gets after eating a meal that leaves you wanting more while offering a lingering taste to remind you of its awesomeness.

     I couldn't imagine enjoying it this much if I didn't make it myself.  If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's that putting the work in to achieve something makes it far more satisfying when you do manage to achieve it.

     And you know what?  I wouldn't have it any other way...

No comments:

Post a Comment